WomanKind

courtesy Marquette University

As you readers know I haven't been posting much this year because I've been putting up the words of, now departed, Helen Andelin. Switching gears today to direct you to the words of another woman- titling herself Laura_Elsewhere- who wrote a beautiful post on what, deep down, makes us women.

It begins thus:

When life is hard… we become Womankind…

What on earth am I on about this time?! I hear you ask?

Well, today is the ninth anniversary of 9/11 and that week was the most obvious example I have ever lived of how there is something about being a woman… I’m a fair feminist most of the time, and insist on my right to vote and my right to wear what clothes I like and my right to choose not to have children and all the other wonderful rights I have as a modern British woman.

BUT…. in the days following 9/11, several friends across the country and I found that we were spending as much of our time as possible in “traditional” woman’s pursuits. We were home-building – no, more than that we were battening down the hatches, we were stocking up for our families, even those of us who live alone. . .

Click to read the rest of the WomanKind post.

5 Comments:

laina said...

You can take the online fascinating womanhood course.

Hilda said...

Hi there! I am new to the blog. I am looking for a succuss story, from a husband's point of view. My husband of 13 years, wants a divorce. I have made all the classic mistakes that women make and now, although he still loves me, he has lost trust. I was supposed to look after his heart and I failed. He felt alone in the world. Now I want him to give me time to make right and win back his trust. (I have learnt so much form the FM book and other reading matter and plain hard work) He is simply too scared and would rather live alone for the rest of his life - He is 57. My question is: Do any of you ladies know of a man who was in the same situation and found his way back through the hurt? A man who managed to find a way to love and tust his wife again, who found the desire - the chemisty again? I am looking for the testimony - and how he did it - of such a man. Bearing in mind that my husband has a fierce self-protection mechanism due to his childhood and he is a highly intelligent, high quality man. I love him so much and the thought of losing him is just too painful. I want to grow old with him.

Hilda

Whitney and Michael said...

I am new follower and I love what this blog is all about it! thanks for what you share! I want to give you an award of "stylish blogger award" for all the amazing things you share! You can pick up the award at my blog: http://domesticventures.blogspot.com/ Thanks again!
Whitney

marlece said...

where are you? you aren't blogging anymore!

Me said...

Can you write about how to address the issue of when your husband is very critical of your homemaking skills? It cuts me to the quick when he complains about the way I do laundry, how a meal turned out etc. He has done it so often I have stopped trying much, (he told me that is fine, just buy packaged food then it would be edible, ow, tears) but I am really not happy with that. I want to clean, cook and decorate I just don't want him to criticize everything. He doesn't want me to hang pictures, paint, improve anything because I won't do it right, but everything looks awful. Help please.